Talent Objects

Talent aquisition by Lumesse
UX Design, Visual Design, Front-end

Overview

Recruiting is complicated. TalentObjects makes it simpler by providing a single platform for your entire talent acquisition journey.

Goals

We needed to create a dead simple mobile-focused experience for the internal candidates (people looking to move up within the company) as well as people who are new to the company through talent communities. Our efforts were focused at 3 stages: engaging, recruiting, and hiring. The most extensive side of this project was handling the experience for the HR people writing reqs, tracking the candidate pipeline, and sending out offer letters. This case study will focus on external candidates, but will make mention of these related systems.

Team

I worked on this project during my time at Appiphony. The team consisted of the Chief of UX, a product designer (me), about 5 engineers, an engagement manager, a PM, and the Talent Objects product team. I spent the majority of my time generating ideas, sketches, high fidelity mockups, and writing most HTML & SASS.

Research

Market

To get a sense for what others were doing, we took an inventory of all the big players in the space. By doing teardowns of these companies and their apps/sites we were able to get a feel for what seemed like essentials to include in our designs.

Users

With a basic understanding of the space we conducted some user interviews with HR people, hiring managers, and potential job seekers who have used a platform like this in the past. We also ran through some light usability testing of the competitors we identified above to determine what they were doing well and what we could improve upon.

Dude looking for a job

Lady looking for candidates

Approach

Flow

My first step when generating ideas is always understanding (for the most part) the flow of things. Through talking with users who fell into our "Candidate Bucket", we were able to determine a pretty basic flow very quickly. To think through steps a candidate would be going through, I sketched together some possible task flows paired with some very rough storyboarding and UI flows. From there I was able to build the fidelity of each step incrementally and get feedback from stakeholders and team members on feasibility as well as a general sanity check.

Crappy brain dump to think through the flow

Less crappy UI sketch to think through the steps in the flow

Storyboarding

From that early ideation phase we were able to land on a pretty solid flow that we illustrated to stakeholders through a nicely put together combination storyboard and UI flow.

Person outside the company needs a job

Hits company job page, searches, finds relevant job

Applies from job page

Has phone screen with recruiter

Interview with the team

Offer letter extended

Offer letter signed

Mockups

With the flow in place, the high fidelity mockups came very easily. Below are a few of the screens that I rendered for both desktop and mobile devices.

An instance of the job search view on desktop

An instance of a job on desktop

An instance of an offer letter on desktop

An instance of the sign & accept modal

An instance of the job search view on mobile

An instance of a job on mobile

An instance of an offer letter on mobile

An instance of the sign & accept modal

Conclusion

This is only the tip of the iceburg of the problem we tackled during the course of this project. During my time trying to wrap my head around the recruiting space, I came across (as always) a giant pile of junk that I just flat out was not aware of, and honestly I've probably forgotten half of it (good thing I take notes). The end result of this project was a mobile responsive application for recruiters and candidates that was integrated with Salesforce's mobile platform, Salesforce1.

Contact me

Hi, person.

If you've got a job that seems perfect for me, let me know about it! If you wanna get coffee or a beer, let me know about that too!